New Smyrna Beach, Fla. (February 27, 2020) – Over the past two weeks, 15 endangered sea turtles were returned to the Atlantic Ocean at the Canaveral National Seashore in New Smyrna Beach, Florida by the SeaWorld Orlando rescue team. All of the sea turtles were rescued in New England after cold stunning, and flown to Orlando for specialized care and treatment late last year.
Ten of the rehabilitated turtles were Kemp’s ridleys, a critically endangered species. Five green sea turtles, which are classified as endangered, were also returned. They represent more than half of the 29 turtles transported by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC) from New England to SeaWorld Orlando. Upon arrival in Orlando, SeaWorld’s rescue team conducted full examinations to determine the best treatment for each sea turtle patient.
According to Meghan Koperski, FWC sea turtle biologist, “FWC staff worked to identify permitted rehabilitation facilities that could provide care for dozens of cold stunned turtles from the Northeast U.S. These transfers ease the burden on the sea turtle rehabilitation facilities in the Northeast, ensuring space for any new patients requiring care. Partners like SeaWorld stepped up and made this happy ending possible.”
In collaboration with government agencies and partner marine life facilities, more than 2800 sea turtles have been rescued by SeaWorld’s rescue teams since 1980. For more than 55 years, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment has helped animals in need – ill, injured, orphaned or abandoned, with the goal of returning them to the wild. More than 36,000 animals have been rescued by the expert animal rescue team that is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you see an injured marine animal, you can help by calling the FWC hotline at 888-404-3922 or by dialing *FWC on a cellular device.
All turtle return footage produced by SeaWorld under FWS Permit Number MA7701911 and FWC Permit Number MTP-15-035.
SeaWorld Orlando places the final piece of track and the first train for their first launch coaster. Ice Breaker features 4 airtime filled launches, backwards & forwards, including a reverse launch into the steepest beyond vertical drop in Florida - a 10-story spike witha 100° drop angle! (Photos courtesy of Premier Rides, Midway Mayhem, & SeaWorld Orlando)
Baltimore, Maryland--The message from SeaWorld Orlando was music to the ears of coaster enthusiasts across the country: “Ice Breaker is on track to launch this Spring... literally.” With those words, the final track section and the first train were installed early this week at SeaWorld Orlando. Not only is Ice Breaker SeaWorld Orlando’s first ever launch coaster but it also features Florida’s steepest beyond-vertical drop. This new attraction will feature four airtime filled launches that accelerate riders both forwards and backwards. Thrill seekers will love being propelled -- in reverse -- up the nearly 10-story spike where they experience Florida’s steepest beyond-vertical drop -- at an angle of 100 degrees!
The final track piece completes the coaster course along which riders will travel more than 2,700 feet at speeds of more than 50mph.
Brian Andrelczyk, Vice President of Design and Engineering described Ice Breaker, stating “it can run not one, but two trains through the use of a unique, high-speed horizontal track switch” Brian contuned “The fun is just getting started … The launch track itself is special because we have an airtime hill on either side, so you’re going to get airtime on every hit of that launch – that totals to 16 hits of airtime throughout the entire layout! It’s going to be a really exciting ride keeping you out of your seat almost as much as you’re in it.”
Jim Seay, President of Premier Rides commented, “We are extremely proud to reach this important milestone. The ride looks spectacular and the installation has been a great team effort. We are honored to be a part of SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment’s formula for success by supplying this one-of-a-kind, record-breaking coaster that is sure to be a must-see attraction this spring!”
Ice Breaker is named after the icy Arctic summits and the ride queue offers an interactive educational experience, a reflection of SeaWorld’s partnership with Alaska SeaLifeCenter—which specializes in rescue, rehabilitation, education and research—a perfect alignment with SeaWorld’s own conservation activities and educational mission. This partnership will help educate riders about the Arctic and its inhabitants.
"The Alaska SeaLife Center is excited to grow our partnership with SeaWorld. For many years, SeaWorld has been a stalwart supporter of the Center, and particularly our Wildlife Response program,” said Tara L. Riemer, President and CEO of Alaska SeaLife Center. “We are grateful for SeaWorld's contributions of funding and staff over the years to further our mission. This new collaboration will continue efforts to highlight Arctic rescue and conservation stories.”
The opening of Ice Breaker will be the perfect addition to SeaWorld’s ever-growing ride portfolio and will become a must-do experience in Orlando.
ABOUT ALASKA SEALIFE CENTER
The Alaska SeaLife Center is the only facility in Alaska that combines a public aquarium with marine research, education, and wildlife response. While primarily dedicated to marine research and education, the nonprofit Center is the only permanent marine mammal rescue and rehabilitation facility in the state.
The Alaska SeaLife Center lies at "Mile 0" of the scenic Seward Highway on the shores of Resurrection Bay. Visitors to their "windows to the sea" have close encounters with puffins, octopus, harbor seals, sea lions, and other marine life while learning about the work conducted by researchers both in the field and in their laboratories. For more information, visit https://www.alaskasealife.org/
ABOUT SEAWORLD ORLANDO
SeaWorld Orlando is a marine theme park in Florida opened in 1973. With a mission for animal rescue and rehabilitation, SeaWorld Orlando strives to inspire others to take action and join efforts to save our planet and marine life. More information and the park’s operating schedule can be found at https://seaworld.com/orlando/
ABOUT SEAWORLD PARKS & ENTERTAINMENT
SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment is a leading theme park and entertainment company that owns and operates 11 theme parks in the United States, including the Busch Gardens, SeaWorld, Sesame Place brands. SeaWorld Parks & Entertainments is also an accredited zoological organization with the largest zoological collection on the North American continent. More information can be found at www.seaworldentertainment.com.
ABOUT PREMIER RIDES, INC.
Premier Rides is best known for its high-tech magnetic launch roller coasters. The company is also a global supplier of traditional roller coasters, observation wheels, towers, water rides and custom designed attractions. Premier’s service division offers engineering support, complete ride and train rehab, and it maintains and offers spare parts supply on a 24-hour emergency basis. The company is headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland and has additional U.S., European, and Asian offices. For more information, please visit www.premier-rides.com or call +1-410-923-0414.
JACKSON, NJ – February 26, 2020 – Six Flags Great Adventure will celebrate “the fast and the curious” as it introduces five new species to park Guests in 2020: the swift and nimble cheetah, majestic great horned owl, stealth American kestrel, social Patagonian cavy and mischievous ferret.
When Six Flags Great Adventure opens for the season April 4, Guests will find these intriguing animals in the theme park’s Wild Walkway and Camp Aventura on the Safari Off Road Adventure. Park admission includes both attractions.
1. Cheetahs “Bear” and “Bo” – These large cats are known for their signature yellowish tan or rufous coat uniformly covered with nearly 2,000 solid black spots. Native to Africa and parts of Iran, cheetahs rank as the fastest land animal. They can launch from 0 to 45 mph in 4.5 seconds, and run up to 75 mph during short, powerful sprints. Large members of the cat family, cheetahs are carnivores with a prowess for hunting. They are most closely related to the cougar and jaguarundi and are considered “vulnerable” on the IUCN Red List.
2. Great Horned Owl “Luna” – These aggressive predators are sometimes known as the “tiger owl” and are native to the Americas. Signature feather tufts on their heads known as “plumicorns” resemble horns or even catlike ears. Great horned owls are powerful and protective parents. Females are larger than males and have much lower-pitched calls. These carnivores are largely nocturnal with an impressive wingspan of 3.3 to 4.8 feet.
3. American Kestrel “Tyrion” – Despite being the littlest falcon in North America, the American kestrel is a fierce predator with a very distinctive hunting behavior. Kestrels hover before diving for their prey and are sometimes known as a “windhover.” They are ultraviolet sensitive, which helps them hunt mice in the dark by following their trails. They are one of the most colorful of all raptors.
4. Patagonian Cavy “Amelia” – Also known as the Patagonian mara, the Patagonian cavy is a large, rabbit-like rodent in the guinea pig family. Cavies can run at speeds up to 45 mph and bounce on all fours, which is known as a “stot.” They are herbivores, eating only plants. Cavy pairs mate for life and raise their young communally. They are considered a “near threatened” species, greatly impacted by hunting and habitat loss in South America.
5. Ferrets “Johnny” and “David” – The name “ferret” is derived from Latin and means “little thief,” which is a likely reference to their penchant for stealing small items. These very curious, active and playful mammals in the weasel family are a domesticated form of the European polecat. They have long, slender bodies – approximately 15 inches without the tail. Males are much larger than females. These carnivores sleep 14 to 18 hours a day and are crepuscular, meaning most active around dawn and dusk.
Six Flags Great Adventure and Safari has focused on animal conservation since 1974. The park is home to more than 75 species of animals from six continents. The great horned owl, kestrel, cavy and pair of playful ferrets also will participate in the park’s Safari Off Road Education, Silver Safari and Wild Encounters outreach programs that visit schools, clubs and other special events. For information on these programs, visit https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/attractions/safari#animalprogram
All New Boysenberry Inspired Food Items Available During the Knott’s Boysenberry Festival from March 20 – April 19
The Festival Features 26 New Boysenberry Food Items to Choose From, Additional Entertainment Experiences and a Variety of Newly Introduced Merchandise Items
Buena Park, CA (February 2020) – The Knott’s Boysenberry Festival is an annual food-inspired event that celebrates the park’s historic roots by highlighting the little berry that started it all, the boysenberry. This year’s festival will feature more than 75 unique boysenberry-inspired creations crafted by the Knott’s culinary team. Guests will have the opportunity to indulge in a tantalizing line up of dishes ranging from savory foods with a boysenberry twist, to one-of-a-kind specialty desserts and drinks that can only be found at Knott’s Berry Farm during this time of the year. In addition to the numerous food and drink offerings, the Knott’s Boysenberry Festival offers a wide selection of local crafters, live music, musical stage shows and fun activities for guests of all ages to enjoy. The Knott’s Boysenberry Festival runs 31 days starting March 20, operating daily through April 19, 2020. This year’s event will introduce an entirely new food lineup featuring a selection of 26 food and drink tasting items.
The new lineup includes:
· Refreshing lemonade with basil and boysenberry
· Boysenberry Beer cheese soup with a boysenberry drizzle topped with brown butter croutons
· Sautéed brussel sprouts topped with boysenberry balsamic and bacon
· Tender beef tips served with creamy boysenberry mashed potato
· Rich chocolatey boysenberry chicken mole on cilantro rice
· Boysenberry Sangria
· Boysenberry Cajun shrimp served over a bed of buttery grits
· Two chicken drumsticks bathed in boysenberry BBQ sauce
· Hearty boysenberry steak chili with an oven fresh boysenberry corn bread muffin
· Samosa’s with boysenberry chutney
· Pork Bao bun dumpling with a boysenberry kimchi and Nam pla
· Citrusy boysenberry ceviche with crispy tortilla chips
· A sweet boysenberry smoothie packed with fruity flavors
· Homemade crunchy chips paired with a zesty boysenberry onion dip
· Grilled boysenberry sausage in a bun with boysenberry ketchup
· Elote rolled in boysenberry mayo topped with a boysenberry tortilla crumble and cotija cheese
· Creamy mac and cheese bites with a tangy boysenberry ketchup
· Glazed donut holes served with rich boysenberry ice cream and topped with boysenberry coulis
· Boysenberry bread pudding topped with boysenberry coulis and anglaise sauce
· Hot pastrami sandwich on a pretzel bun with boysenberry mustard
· Boysenberry macaron, a sensational French dessert
· Churros powdered with boysenberry sugar
· Extra creamy boysenberry ice cream
· Boysenberry Beer
· Boysenberry Wine
· Boysenberry Mimosa
A great way to indulge in the new boysenberry food items during the festival is by purchasing a tasting card priced at $40 and $38 for season pass holders. The tasting card will offer eight tastings from a selection of 26 boysenberry-inspired dishes and drinks. A variety of signature boysenberry items will also be available for purchase a la carte. Tasting cards are available at Knotts.com or at the theme park.
Guest can also take home a taste of the boysenberry festival with limited edition merchandise found throughout the park. This year’s new merchandise includes a new selection of event themed apparel, pajama sets, festival-inspired parasols plus new packaged food items perfect for take-home souvenirs like the new boysenberry tequila and whiskey and spiced wine preserves, boysenberry Irish cream coffee, boysenberry cake batter cookies, boysenberry vinaigrette dressing, boysenberry hot sauce, and boysenberry sarsaparilla. The Knott’s Berry Market also features signature boysenberry items like the delicious boysenberry BBQ sauce and our classic jams and preserves. Unique boysenberry inspired artisan products will also be available at the Boysenberry Festival Craft Fair returning with 30 local craft vendors, each crater will feature a boysenberry theme items.
Knott’s Boysenberry Festival offers endless entertainment options for the festival goer:
· Snoopy’s Boysenberry Jamboree! - Guests are invited to join Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the entire Peanuts Gang in a musical stage show that will have families dancing along at the Calico Mine Stage
· Riverboat Revenge - Knott’s pays tribute to its past at the Legendary Bird Cage Theatre with a special presentation of the brand new comedy melodrama, Riverboat Revenge. All Aboard for this Boysenberry Bon Voyage!
· Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies - A group of krazy talented performers will have guests toe tappin’, vine dancin’ and knee-slappin’ to a comedic country music show at the Wagon Camp stage.
· Boysenberry Fun and Games - Get in on the fun of some of the craziest and messiest games along with our famous Boysenberry Pie Eating Contest.
· Old MacDonald’s Farm - Young ones and young at heart are invited to cozy up to the cutest critters on the farm including horses, sheep, goats and other furry friends. Old MacDonald’s Farm pays tribute to one of the farm’s original attractions
· Knott’s Totally Tubular 80’s Dance Party – A Classic returns! Travel back to the 80’s as you dance the night away to the best songs of the decade.
· Boysenberry Blues – Pull up a chair as our blues trio conjures up some of the smoothest tunes performing at the Boardwalk BBQ patio
· Musical Performances - Various musical duos playing Country and Bluegrass tunes will take the stage at Fireman’s BBQ.
· DJ Cruz – Knott’s resident DJ keeps the night pumpin’ with the latest dance hits sure to make you hit the dance floor
· History of the Boysenberry - Grab a slice of history in our museum dedicated to the fruit that made it all possible
The Boysenberry Festival is included with admission to Knott’s Berry Farm. Additional costs apply for food tasting experiences within the event. Knott’s will have extended hours on select days March 20 – April 19, allowing guests extra time to take advantage of all of the limited-time offerings.
The best way to savor every day of the Knott’s Boysenberry Festival and all of the other Seasons of Fun is with a 2020 Season Pass. A Regular Season Pass includes unlimited admission in 2020 to Knott’s Berry Farm with no blackout dates, and a Gold Season Pass includes unlimited admission in 2020 to both Knott’s Berry Farm and Knott’s Soak City Waterpark with no blackout dates. Regular passes are just $101 or six easy payments of $13.50 after an initial payment and Gold Passes are $125 or six easy payments of just $17.00 after an initial payment. These offers end April 19, 2020. Applicable taxes and fees apply. Payment plans are only available at knotts.com.
For more information about Knott’s Berry Farm please visit knotts.com or download the Knott’s Berry Farm app for your smart phone. For all current Knott’s Boysenberry assets please visit the event’s electronic press kit. Join the conversation using the hashtag #Boysenberry Festival
About Knott’s Berry Farm and Cedar Fair Entertainment Company:
What began as a roadside berry stand and chicken dinner restaurant in the 1920s has evolved into Knott’s Berry Farm, one of Southern California’s most popular theme park destinations combining world-class thrill rides with traditional family favorite attractions and entertainment. Knott’s is also home to Knott’s Soak City Waterpark, Knott’s Marketplace, and the full-service Knott’s Berry Farm Hotel. Knott’s Berry Farm is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: FUN), a publicly traded partnership and one of the largest regional amusement-resort operators in the world. The Company owns and operates 11 amusement parks, two outdoor water parks, one indoor water park and five hotels. For more information, see www.cedarfair.com.
New General Manager Arrives from LEGOLAND® Malaysia to Lead Multi-Day Vacation Destination
CARLSBAD, Ca. (February 25, 2020) – LEGOLAND® California Resort names Kurt Stocks new General Manager of the family theme park built for kids. Stocks joins LEGOLAND California from LEGOLAND®Malaysia Resort where he served in the same position. Stocks succeeds Peter Ronchetti, who recently retired after serving 11 successful years at LEGOLAND California Resort where he led the openings of many exciting attractions including the LEGO® Chima™ Water Park, LEGOLAND® Hotel and LEGOLAND® Castle Hotel.
Now taking the reins, with more than 15 years of experience in Sales, Operations and General Management fields, Stocks brings a wealth of knowledge and leadership to the team at LEGOLAND California Resort. Under his leadership at LEGOLAND Malaysia, Stocks lead strategic development efforts for the Resort which included the opening of SEA LIFE Malaysia in April 2019, one of the biggest milestones for the resort to date.
A native of Australia, Stocks began his career as a professional rugby player before transitioning into a career in the health and fitness industry where he rose to the role of Managing Director at Fitness First Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur.
He has relocated to the San Diego area with his wife, Melissa, and their three children, Archie (6), Ayda (3) and Spencer (1). The family is excited for their new adventures in the U.S., and they look forward to taking advantage of all the wonderful outdoor activities their new home has to offer.
For his first big milestone as General Manager, Stocks will lead the charge for the opening of the Resort’s largest expansion to date, The LEGO® MOVIE™ World opening on March 27, 2020.
LEGOLAND® California Resort includes LEGOLAND® California, SEA LIFE® aquarium, LEGOLAND® Water Park, LEGOLAND® Hotel and LEGOLAND® Castle Hotel. All are geared for families with children between the ages of 2 and 12. At LEGOLAND California, you’ll find more than 60 rides, shows and attractions including the new LEGO® City: Deep Sea Adventure submarine ride where guests experience more than 2,000 real sea animals including real sharks, rays and tropical fish. The Park also includes LEGO® NINJAGO: Master of the Fourth Dimension 4D film, NINJAGO™ The Ride where guests experience 3D imagery, high-tech sensors and use hand movements in a striking motion to master their skills before battling the Great Devourer, LEGO® Star Wars™ Miniland Model Display and The LEGO® Movie 4D A New Adventure™. SEA LIFE aquarium is home to more than 5,000 living creatures and incorporates LEGO® models into a child’s voyage to the depths of the ocean featuring play zones, fun facts and quiz trails. LEGOLAND Water Park features more than seven slides, sandy beaches and the unique Build-A-Raft Rive plus Pirate Reef and LEGO Legends of Chima Water Park comprising 10 acres of water fun! The nation’s first LEGOLAND Hotel features 250 rooms, all themed either as pirate, adventure, kingdom, LEGO® Friends and LEGO® NINJAGO™! New this year, LEGOLAND Castle Hotel features 250 rooms, fully themed as Knights and Dragons, Royal Princess and Magic Wizard. For more information, visit www.LEGOLAND.com or call (760) 918-LEGO (5346).
Merlin Entertainments plc is a global leader in location based, family entertainment. As Europe's number one and the world's second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates more than 120 attractions, 18 hotels and 6 holiday villages in 25 countries and across 4 continents. The company aims to deliver memorable experiences to more than 65 million visitors worldwide, through its iconic global and local brands, and the commitment and passion of its 29,000 employees (peak season). Visit www.merlinentertainments.biz for more information.