Park Will Reopen Rides with Proven Safety Measures in Place
VALLEJO, Calif. — March 18, 2021 — Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, the Thrill Capital of Northern California, today announced plans to open the park with the complement of world-class roller coasters, rides, and animals with a special exclusive preview for Members and Season Pass holders, April 1 and 2, then opening to the general public on April 3, 2021. For the first time since March of last year, the park will operate its renowned collection of thrilling rides in accordance with state, county and local government guidelines. The park has safely hosted guests for the animal-focused, Marine World Experience, since July of 2020. In accordance with state and county reopening guidelines for theme parks, Six Flags will operate at reduced attendance levels utilizing the existing reservation system. The park is also continuing the implementation of extensive safety measures including several new advanced technology systems to protect guests and employees. The plan, developed in consultation with infectious disease experts, sets standards for executing at the highest levels of hygiene and social distancing protocols. These procedures will be adjusted on an as-needed basis to ensure compliance with state and county recommendations
“Californians are ready to visit their favorite Six Flags theme park and have some fun,” said Senior Vice President of Park Operations Bonnie Weber. ”Last year, we set the standard for operating our parks safely and entertained nearly seven million guests in adherence to government and CDC health guidelines. We will follow those same stringent guidelines as we reopen our rides and attractions in our California parks.”
“We are very excited to be able to offer our full selection of rides and attractions for the first time in over a year,” said Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Park President Janine Durette. “Six Flags creates wonderful memories through the incredible experiences we provide guests of all ages. We are excited to welcome more guests to the park and to bring back more of our dedicated team members.”
Park reopening dates are subject to change based on local, state, and federal guidelines related to COVID-19. Hurricane Harbor Concord is expected to open at a future date based on current state guidance.
The park will continue to employ an online reservation system to manage attendance, schedule guests for entry by day, and to stagger arrival times to minimize proximity exposure. Other technologies used include:
Protocols for the Safe Operation of Rides
· Easy-to-identify distance markers have been added in all ride queue lines;
· Handrails, ride units, and restraints will be regularly sanitized throughout the day;
· Riders on all roller coasters, rides, and attractions will be physically distanced in accordance with local and state guidelines; and
· Masks must remain on while experiencing a ride or attraction.
Safer, Faster Way to Pay
· Six Flags will only accept card and mobile payments; and
· Cash may be converted to a card at new kiosks located throughout the park;
Existing safety plans include:
Park Reservations System to Control Capacity and Guest Entry
Six Flags has established attendance caps that are in accordance with current local and state guidelines to allow for proper social distancing and to verify in-state residence. All Members, Season Pass holders and all guests with a single-day or group ticket will need to make a reservation at www.sixflags.com/reserve. Guests who need single day tickets will be able to reserve during the purchase process. The process will take 5-7 minutes, and guests will complete the following steps:
Members and Season Pass Holders Get Exclusive Preview Days:
· Easy to identify distance markers have been added in all park entry, restroom, retail locations, and dining queue lines;
· Dining areas have been adjusted to allow ample space between seated parties;
· Guests viewing outdoor entertainment will be separated by at least six feet.
Extensive Sanitization and Disinfecting Protocols
· Trained and dedicated cleaning teams have been put in place;
· Increased sanitization and disinfecting of high touch points including all public seating, tabletops, counters, handrails, doors, and trash cans will occur frequently;
· Restroom staff will be stationed to disinfect each stall and sink area on a frequent basis;
· Multiple hand-washing and alcohol-based hand-sanitizer stations will be located throughout the park; and
· All team member work areas will be regularly sanitized and disinfected.
Sanitized Food Preparation and Service
· Modified menus and implementation of mobile food ordering will help facilitate touchless transactions;
· Self-service buffets and salad bars will be reconfigured to eliminate guest contact with food; and
· Condiments, self-serve cutlery, and napkins will be provided to guests with their meals as required;
Commercial-Grade Cleaning Equipment and Supplies
· All employees will be issued Team Member Action Packs which will include: a safety face mask, safety glasses, and disposable gloves;
· Low pressure backpack sprayers will be utilized for disinfecting large areas;
· Abundant supplies of sanitizers and disinfectants will be available;
· Microfiber cloths will be used to sanitize surfaces; and
· Queue line supplies, fencing, and tents will be in place to promote safe social distancing.
Multi-Layered Guest and Team Member Communication
· Frontline team members will go through extensive COVID-19 training;
· Safety messaging and reminders on Six Flags’ website, newsletters, and in-park announcements;
· Distance markers and physical distance indicators will be in place; and
· Informational safety signage is posted throughout the park.
Virtual Hiring Fairs
As one of the largest seasonal employers in the country, Six Flags is rapidly hiring thousands of team members for the 2021 season. The safety of park guests, employees, and animals is always the company’s top priority, and applicants may now apply for jobs in a new completely virtual and contact-free environment where applicants can apply today and start working tomorrow. Applications may be completed online and interviews and training will all be done virtually; onboarding is contact-free.
Named one of the Nation’s Best and Brightest Companies to Work For® by The National Association for Business Resources for five years in a row, Six Flags offers a wide variety of positions in a fun, fast-paced environment, along with paid internships for students. The company offers a myriad of benefits for team members including advancement opportunities, educational scholarships, reward and recognition programs, free park admission, and much more.
About Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and Hurricane Harbor Concord
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, the Thrill Capital of Northern California, is home to more than 60 rides, shows, and attractions, including 10 world-class roller coasters like Medusa and Batman: The Ride. Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Concord, Northern California’s Most Thrilling Waterpark, features more than 22 rides and attractions like Break Point Plunge and Splashwater Island. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and Hurricane Harbor Concord are the premier destinations for thrilling, family fun.
About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation
Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world’s largest regional theme park company and the largest operator of waterparks in North America, with 26 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. For 59 years, Six Flags has entertained millions of families with world-class coasters, themed rides, thrilling waterparks and unique attractions. For more information, visit www.sixflags.com.
Follow us on Twitter @sixflagsdk
Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/discoverykingdom
Follow us on Instagram @sixflagsdiscoverykingdom